Converged industrial-grade private wireless and IP/MPLS FAN for power utilities
Extend connectivity to the grid edge for distribution automation and renewables, along with broadband for field force enablement
Utilities worldwide are trusting a converged field area network (FAN) to prepare their distribution grids for digitalization, automation and realization of the benefits of Industry 4.0. This innovative solution combines LTE/4.9G and IP/MPLS technologies to modernize and optimize power grids and make them future-ready for new demand and changing business models. By combining the massive coverage, broadband capacity, and built-in security and mobility of LTE with the proven application-centric service capabilities of IP/MPLS, our solution provides communications to ensure safe, efficient and agile grid operations. LTE also delivers new opportunities for field force enablement to enhance worker safety and efficiency.
- Pervasive connectivity for digitalization and automation to improve efficiency and maintain grid reliability with interconnection of growing distributed generation and storage to realize net zero emissions
- Application-specific FAN convergence (such as SCADA, AMI backhaul, voice) for lifecycle cost reduction and greater flexibility
- Ability to combine LTE/5G and IP/MPLS in a solution to simplify operations by leveraging proven mission-critical WAN service, security and management environment to create a single, consistent communications environment that now extends to critical devices at grid edge
- Scalable IP/MPLS VPN services extend to grid edge to cope with growing volume and variety of data while utilizing QoS to prioritize performance for mission-critical traffic
- Broadband wireless to Improve field worker safety and efficiency with secure Push-to-Talk, Push-to-Video and advanced mobile applications
With Nokia’s state-of-the-art 4G wireless solutions today and 5G wireless solutions tomorrow, you don’t need to wait for 5G to power your digital transformation.
Use cases to realize full value from your FAN
A converged FAN offers a utility the ability to start with their unique set of legacy and new use cases, adding to them as they execute their digitalization and automation plans to realize the benefits of Industry 4.0.
Typically, this is a combination of both legacy use cases for grid monitoring and control along with field force enablement.
Distribution automation (DA) to improve grid reliability, efficiency and agility with a solution that reliably delivers traffic for restoration and safety.
- Keep the lights on with improved grid reliability
- Optimize distribution automation with private LTE networks
Distributed Energy Resources (DER) integration to monitor and control interconnection by using adaptable and sustainable processes to continuously deliver high quality power to everyone while realizing net zero emission goals.
The converged FAN solution safeguards both IP and Ethernet data traffic end-to-end, securing your network and use cases against cyber threats. It includes the Nokia Network Services Platform (NSP) to easily connect and efficiently manage at speed the connectivity to field IEDs that are increasingly being deployed with these use cases.
- Network Group Encryption – Seamless encryption for mission-critical networks
- Harnessing NSP to manage FAN routers with ease
The Nokia FAN solution has advanced network capabilities for use cases with IEC 61850/GOOSE and peer-to-peer multipoint communications. It is a simple evolution to 5G when your use cases require it. A converged private LTE and IP/MPLS FAN is a single communications platform that, today, can support use cases for OT and IT, IoT and launch new services and transformational business models.
Get the right mix of private and public networks
A private LTE/4.9G network provides the pervasive connectivity you need to support critical applications within your field area networks and sites. If you need regional, nationwide or global coverage or a redundant wireless path, you can combine your private network with shared public network slices. Our solution interacts seamlessly with public LTE networks, which makes it easy to get the right network mix for your business.
Deploy a connectivity solution built for industries
With Nokia Modular Private Wireless (MPW) and Nokia Digital Automation Cloud (DAC) you get flexible end-to-end solutions that provides ubiquitous connectivity across your field area networks and within your sites. If required, you can extend connectivity nationwide or around the globe using mobile operators’ networks or the Nokia WING offering. You can also provide digital connectivity that consolidates every kind of data and uses AI and machine learning to optimize and automate your operations.
For critical devices and sites in field area networks, you can extend proven WAN IP/MPLS service, security and management with the Nokia 7705 SAR over LTE. This delivers a secure, reliable service with stringent quality of service (QoS) for mission-critical applications, along with seamless connectivity between wireless and wired devices.
We’ve designed our private wireless solution to give you maximum flexibility with two deployment approaches: full control or simplicity. We can help you choose the approach that best meets your needs and customize it to ensure the maximum benefit for your business.
Modular Private Wireless
Choose an MPW deployment if you want complete control over the way you build and operate your private wireless network. MPW supports end-to-end customization that lets you meet your most demanding requirements.
Nokia Digital Automation Cloud
Choose Nokia DAC deployment if you want the simplest route to your own private wireless network. With Nokia DAC, you get an integrated, plug-and-play, as-a-service solution that runs on your premises. You also get a digitalization and automation platform with applications that are ready to run.
Do private wireless your way
With Nokia DAC and MPW, we support a full range of architecture and deployment scenarios, including:
- Fully autonomous local deployments
- Connected industrial sites with transparent roaming between private wireless and mobile operator networks
- Hybrid edge and centralized cloud deployments that support locally run applications and data processing as well as global management of multiple sites and release upgrades
- Centralized cloud deployments that let you run some private wireless network elements in network clouds
- Mobile operators’ private wireless, secure MVNO or nationwide network slicing offers
What can you do with a private wireless network?
- Build a more agile business that can keep pace with shifting demand
- Accelerate your digital transformation
- Unlock new opportunities with the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Provide reliable connectivity for your people, machines and sensors
With our Industrial-grade Private Wireless solutions – Nokia Modular Private Wireless (MPW) and Nokia Digital Automation cloud (DAC) – you can realize your digital ambitions now and be prepared for whatever comes next.
The MPW and Nokia DAC solutions draw on cutting-edge cloud, machine learning and analytics platforms developed by the world-renowned researchers at Nokia Bell Labs. These innovations will give you the edge you need to succeed in the new age of industry.
Partner with a 4.9G/LTE and 5G leader
We’re ready to use our decades of IP, optical and wireless experience to help you build a private wireless network that powers a successful digital transformation. Our references include:
- 420+ enterprise customers have deployed Nokia private wireless solution globally in a variety of vertical segments
- 400+ LTE networks for mobile operators that serve more than 75 percent of the world’s LTE subscribers
- 1,300+ mission-critical networks for a wide range of enterprises, including utilities, mines, airports, maritime ports, manufacturers and logistics companies
Power your digital transformation with private wireless
Our combined Industrial-grade Private Wireless and IP/MPLS solution lets you extend reliable, secure, low-latency connectivity to all your critical operations in real time. Learn how it can accelerate your digital transformation and help you keep pace with shifting markets and customer demands.