RAN Slice Controller
Automate 5G RAN slicing operations with slice lifecycle management
What is 5G RAN slicing?
5G RAN slicing enables with the creation of sub-slices in the RAN and assures that they deliver the agreed throughput, latency, mobility and reliability. 5G RAN slicing is complemented by adjacent capabilities in the transport and core network domains, as well as end-to-end slicing capabilities.
Network slicing enables CSPs to provide tailored services to customers which can be rolled out quickly, supporting business opportunities addressing new segments to generate additional revenues.
Why is automation essential for 5G RAN slicing?
Creating and operating slices is a highly complex process. It’s time-consuming and error-prone, making it impractical to do this manually at scale. Do you know what it takes to deploy just a single slice on a network with 10,000 gNodeBs? It requires creating of over 100,000 managed objects and updating several 100,000s radio parameters resulting in 100s of hours of labor.
And this is just for slice creation. Once the slice is up and running you also need to assure slice performance and assign / re-assign radio resources dynamically – a daunting task without automation. Not to mention ongoing tasks like backup and restore, modifications to network slices, etc.
Read on to learn how you can shorten 5G service innovation cycles with reduced complexity and automated RAN Slice lifecycle management.
- What is 5G RAN slicing?
- What is the RAN Network Slice Subnet Management Function (R-NSSMF)?
- What is the Nokia RAN Slice Controller solution?
- What are the benefits of using Nokia RAN Slice Controller for 5G RAN Slicing?
- Nokia RAN Slice Controller proof points
- Customer case study
- Related solutions and products
- Learn more
What is the RAN Network Slice Subnet Management Function (R-NSSMF)?
The RAN Network Slice Subnet Management Function (R-NSSMF) enables automated network slicing in 5G RAN, improving time-to-market, QoS and reliability through less manual work.
Why should you use R-NSSMF?
- Reduce slice creation time in the RAN from several hundred hours to a few minutes, while minimizing human errors
- Automate routine tasks such as slice modification based on network changes, inventory updates, maintaining order history, order rollback, etc.
- Monitor slice performance and ensure SLAs are met through closed-loop automation
- Increase reliability and simplify troubleshooting with automated assurance, leveraging correlation and root-cause analysis to significantly reduce the number of alarms and field dispatches
What is the Nokia RAN Slice Controller solution?
The Nokia RAN Slice Controller solution provides the R-NSSMF capability for physical RAN, Cloud RAN and O-RAN deployments. With automated slice lifecycle management capabilities designed for multi-vendor and multi-cloud environments, it relies on standards-based open interfaces and SDKs. In addition, the solution comes pre-integrated with Nokia Digital Operations Center (CSMF/NSMF) and Nokia MantaRay NM (R-NFMF).
RAN Slice Controller modules
- Nokia Orchestration Center offers capabilities for fast design and deployment of slices, reducing time-to-value significantly.
- Nokia Assurance Center enables proactive assurance of slices in runtime to meet KPIs and to drive down costs through AIOps capabilities.
- Unified Inventory is a near real-time discovery, reconciliation and synchronization engine for network and service assets. It closes the loop between assurance and orchestration processes.
- Domain Adaptation provides an abstracted view of the network domain and hides its inherent complexity.
Nokia’s CSMF, NSMF, R-NSSMF and C-NSSMF capabilities can be delivered in a single solution supporting all four functions. They can be deployed all at once or added over time one by one.
What are the benefits of using Nokia RAN Slice Controller for 5G RAN Slicing?
Single pane of glass for slice operation
- Automated slice lifecycle management
- 3GPP-based slice orchestration, inventory management and performance assurance
Modular solution for lower TCO
- Installed as part of Orchestration Center, Assurance Center and Unified Inventory
- Lower TCO when deployed with NSMF & C-NSSMF
- Easy to expand the solution to include NSMF & C-NSSMF by leveraging the common platform
Designed for multi-vendor environments
- Integration with multi-vendor NSMF and NFMF
- SDK for customization and non-standard integration
- Pre-integration with Nokia Digital Operations Center as NSMF
- Pre-integration with MantaRay NM as NFMF
Nokia RAN Slice Controller proof points
With deep knowledge of 5G networks and network slicing with service and network operation know-how, Nokia uniquely combines
Customer case study - 5G slicing automation
A North American CSP with a multi-vendor network needed automated end-to-end slice management capabilities.
5G slice management requirements:
- Support for several use cases such as temporary shared slice for events and private 5G eMBB slice service for enterprise customers
- Shared RAN network with multi-operator core
- Aggressive project timeline in complex multi-vendor environment
Nokia’s slicing automation solution:
- RAN slicing (R-NSSMF), core slicing (C-NSSMF) and end-to-end slice orchestration (CSMF & NSMF)
- Slice assurance with closed-loop automation
- Automated order processing with integration to existing enterprise marketplace
- Leveraging the public cloud as a readily available flexible infrastructure for quicker deployment
The outcome using Nokia’s RAN Slice Controller
- Rapid implementation enabled by industry standards compliance, large library of network adapters and public cloud deployment
- Simplified closed-loop automation due to single design for both orchestration and assurance
- Complete slice implementation automation: from the order submitted via the self-service enterprise portal by the customer to slice instantiation across multi-vendor cloud, core and transport domains
Related solutions and products
Core Slice Controller
Core Slice Controller automates core slicing operations with lifecycle management for 5G slices
Digital Operations Center
A new breed of service orchestration and service assurance for network slicing
Intelligent network management for 5G
Learn more about network automation and slicing
Here's how to make Network Slicing work efficiently
Autonomous Operations - is it time for a new Network Operating System?
Are you ready to deliver the 5G-era customer experience?
Key findings from Telco AI survey
Unlocking revenue and efficiency with intent-driven autonomous operations
AIOps takes closed-loop autonomous operations to the next level
Achieve autonomous operations and thrive in the digital ecosystem with automated assurance
Accelerating the adoption of telco AI to deliver autonomous networks
11 Jul 2023
Nokia and Ooredoo Qatar showcase country-first 5G Standalone data call with 5G core network
15 Jun 2023
Nokia introduces on-demand network slicing to boost customer experience
28 Mar 2023
Nokia enhances DOCOMO’s nationwide network with upgraded IP core and transport network slicing for 5G services
6 Mar 2023
Nokia and Singtel successfully trial 5G IP transport end-to-end network slicing
31 Oct 2022
Nokia and Nedaa to explore innovative 5G network slicing for smart city and public safety use
9 Sep 2022
Nokia and Telia Finland launch world’s first commercial 5G SA network with network slicing for Fixed Wireless Access
22 Aug 2022
Nokia and Safaricom complete Africa’s first Fixed Wireless Access 5G slicing trial
28 Jun 2022
Nokia and Proximus deliver 5G network slicing innovation to support demanding network conditions
28 Feb 2022
Nokia deploys world’s first 5G Edge Slicing solution on live commercial network with Cellcom and Telia #MWC22
2 Aug 2021
Orange and Nokia deploy the first Industry 4.0 4G/5G private network with network slicing in French factory
18 May 2021
Nokia to help transform PLDT and Smart’s nationwide network and standardize virtualization environment
20 Jan 2021
Nokia and Mobily pilot world’s first 4G and 5G Fixed Wireless Access network slicing
10 Dec 2020
Nokia’s Digital Operations Center software wins Fierce Innovation Award
1 Oct 2020
Nokia offers world’s first automated 4G/5G network slicing within RAN, transport and core domains
29 Jul 2020
ÖBB, A1 Austria and Nokia are piloting network slicing in the existing A1 network
26 Feb 2020