Service Enablement Platform
Introduce AI/ML-based innovation to the radio access network
Add a new intelligence layer to the RAN
Nokia integrated RAN Intelligent Controller (RIC) and Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) capabilities are implemented in its Service Enablement Platform (SEP).
Nokia SEP supports innovative RAN use cases and provides unique value by implementing O-RAN standardized near-real-time RIC capabilities together with ETSI-defined MEC Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). The SEP enables the RAN control of the RIC and the service awareness of the MEC to be connected and used efficiently and flexibly to provide valuable use cases. The SEP can be deployed to support one or both of the standards-defined services.
Nokia SEP integrates RIC and MEC into a single solution
Nokia SEP extends standard RIC and MEC capabilities with new use cases for service optimization, all within a unified application framework. This integration of the RIC and MEC into a single, cloud-native and fully containerized solution offers significant benefits for Communications Service Providers (CSPs):
- Highly valuable use cases are made possible by integrating MEC service interaction with RAN optimization logic in the RIC
- A single application model and framework allows both RIC and MEC functionality to be deployed from multiple sources (vendors, CSPs, third parties)
- CSPs can build mutually beneficial relationships with webscale companies and third party ecosystem providers
- CSPs gain an effective process to securely onboard, integrate, manage and support applications from third parties.
The SEP can run on edge or far edge data centers and share infrastructure with Cloud RAN and other virtualized network functions. Nokia’s edge-optimized AirFrame open edge server solution provides secure, high performance ultra-small footprint edge cloud infrastructure for indoor and outdoor environments.
O-RAN compliant RAN programmability with near-real-time RIC
The near-real time RIC allows external control applications, xApps, to control aspects of the 5G radio network through installed control applications. xApps can come from multiple sources and provide many benefits. There are several use case scenarios for the xApps, such as:
- Automated AI/ML based network optimization xApps
- Use-case specific RAN customization e.g. Enterprise specific RAN adaptation
- Innovation in the RAN e.g. introduction of Service Awareness
Nokia RAN Intelligent Controller xApps
We are developing several xApps to implement near-real-time RIC use cases and we are actively engaging with customers and research groups on application development.
- Nokia Advanced Traffic Steering xApp is an AI/ML-based optimization algorithm to dynamically improve the efficiency of traffic distribution in the RAN. It brings benefits such as higher cell resource utilization, better spectrum usage, higher device throughput and improved user experience.
- Nokia Anomaly Detection xApp uses machine learning to quickly detect and classify irregular behavior patterns in the RAN, identifying cell and, in the future, device problems. It reduces the need for human intervention, enables faster issue identification and can trigger automated network healing to increase RAN availability.
Nokia is committed to lead the open mobile future
An open and programmable Radio Access Network (RAN) enables many new capabilities to be introduced for 5G networks. Furthermore, it fosters innovation by supporting the introduction of advanced capabilities such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) algorithms that can automatically optimize the network. Nokia is investing in Open RAN (O-RAN) and Cloud RAN capabilities to enable a robust telecom ecosystem with strong network performance and security.
World´s first RAN Intelligent Controller trials in commercial networks
Nokia and AT&T are leading the O-RAN Software Community’s effort to create an open source base code for the RIC. Successful limited live trials with multiple RIC applications (xApps) at the edge of AT&T’s commercial 5G network have proven the concept of deploying external AI/ML logic to augment base station functions, without interrupting the live commercial network.
Nokia is actively engaging with major CSP and research groups globally with Proofs of Concept, trials and development of the open and programmable RAN, which will enable many new capabilities for 5G networks.
Related solutions and products
AirFrame Data Center
Adapt to any cloud-based application
AirScale Cloud RAN
5G Cloud RAN boosts businesses with edge cloud ambitions
AirFrame Open Edge Server
Data center solution designed for edge