AirScale indoor radio system
The best designed multi-technology solution for flexible deployment
Designed to minimize TCO on NR enablement
The AirScale Indoor Radio (ASiR) System solution provides an enhanced SFN (Single Frequency Network) indoor solution addressing key requirements such as lower cost of ownership, smaller product form factor, better indoor coverage, and macro-grade level larger capacity.
ASiR System is an enhanced indoor solution with a centralized architecture, including multi-band ASiR-pRRH, ASiR-sHUB, and AirScale BBU. The platform supports 2G/3G technology via an optional ASiR-RFC (RF Converter). ASiR System is 5G-ready and can evolve into a 4G+5G mixed network on the same platform via graceful 5G radio insertion.
Designed for 5G Evolution
Nokia’s next generation indoor system supports all technologies (2G/3G/4G/5G) and is designed to upgrade 4G to 5G NR via plug-and-play with minimal on-site work. To ensure consistent network performance across all layers, ASiR is driven by AirScale BBU and combines multiple ASiR-pRRH into one Single Frequency Network (SFN). Each ASiR-pRRH is a high power ( 4x250mW) access point that is connected via a single Ethernet cable for both fronthaul and Power over Ethernet (PoE). Planning should be considered in such a way that support the capabilities of each technology.
The key components of the ASiR solution include:
- ASiR-BBU: Same BBU used by the macro deployment.
- ASiR-sHUB: Connects to the ASiR-BBU via CPRI 9,8Gbps (Option 8) and serves as an ASiR-pRRH aggregation point. For the downlink, the ASiR-sHUB provides multi-casting to all ASiR-pRRH in a given SFN. For the uplink, the ASiR-sHUB provides radio summing and forwarding to the AirScale BBU.
- ASiR-pRRH: Connects to the ASiR-sHUB via a proprietary CPRI over 10GBASE-T/5GBASE-T. The ASiR-pRRH provides DFE and Radio functions.
- ASiR-RFC: Supports neutral hosting, 2G/3G/4G technology.
The connection between ASiR-sHUB and ASiR-pRRH is a highly optimized interface designed to specifically carry more carrier bandwidth and MIMO layers as well as support the ability to chain 5G ASiR-pRRH other ASiR-pRRH. Since ASiR-pRRH chaining provides both traffic and power, ASiR-pRRH (e.g. 5G or non-5G) may simply connect together without the need for additional ASiR-sHUB cabling.
The ASiR solution is very flexible and supports various indoor deployment scenarios.
- Tri-bands support – 3 technologies into 1 box
- 40MHz OBW / legacy band , 100MHz OBW / 5G band
- 50 - 250mW output power – Wide coverage, high ceiling support, cost saving
- Integrated / External antenna variants – Extend deployment to full scenarios
- 4G-5G chaining – 4G/5G co-site with just one Cat6a transmission
- 12 x 10GBASE-T ports – The highest pRRHs connectivity in industry, perfect for adding 5G
- 4 x 9.8G (SFP ports) backhaul to BBU – Strong backhaul capability to enable 4 Hub chaining or use 1x 9,8G for ASiR RFC connectivity
- 4G/5G concurrent support – smooth upgrade to 5G without hardware changing
- Rich feature support (SFN, Virtual 4T4R) – coverage or capacity driven, as customer wish
- Multi-tech RF conversion – GSM/WCDMA/LTE in one system
- 3 x 4 RF ports (12 SMA connectors)– Neutral Hosting for multi-vendor scenario
- 8 x 9.8G SFP ports (CPRI interface)– Strong connectivity to Hubs
Resolving the issue of indoor densification and providing a path to 5G
Today’s networks must be densified to provide the extreme capacity needed to meet soaring traffic demand. Yet densification is often perceived as a challenge by many CSPs as it may require multiple small cell sites, which could delay roll outs and incur large investment.
The ASiR was designed to provide the flexibility needed to ensure smooth installations with an easy and cost-effective upgrade path from 4G to 5G.