2020: The year 5G deployments went 100 percent digital
In 2020, the discussion around 5G changed: it is no longer about what it might do in comparison to 4G but how to actually make it a reality. The faster a communications service provider (CSP) can roll out its 5G network, the more robust the return on its 5G investment will be. But that is easier said than done.
While network deployment seems like it should be a relatively simple, straightforward process, it is very time- and resource-intensive, which makes it prone to errors and inefficiencies. CSPs must contend with a mix of manual processes, multiple layers of documentation and disjointed IT tools — while also coordinating with several different stakeholders in the field. It all adds up to a very fragmented way of designing, building, and managing next-generation networks.
Digitalization can help reduce the inefficiencies and errors that hamper 5G rollouts — and Nokia is now offering fully digitalized network deployment services to CSPs around the world.
Digitalization drives greater efficiency for faster 5G rollouts
In September 2020, we announced that we had digitalized 100 percent of our network deployment services through an innovative, end-to-end service delivery platform. The platform addresses project management, workflow orchestration, logistics, materials management, and field collaborations for managing equipment installation quality and site acceptance.
The platform’s key services include:
- Automated workflow orchestration to deploy the right crews, with the right equipment, at the right time and place
- A digital database of network assets that can be used to remotely and virtually access sites, making it much faster and easier to upgrade and expand the network
- Tools powered by artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to identify defects in real-time through automated analysis
- Real-time project dashboards for greater transparency and project management effectiveness
- Drone-led site visits to ensure builds are completed “first time right”
- Remote training & site health check capabilities via mobile devices enables field crews perform faster trouble shooting for site outages.
Remarkable results for CSPs
As of today, more than 100 Nokia customers around the world have used our digital deployment services to achieve faster, more efficient, and higher quality 5G deployments. Remote/virtual asset and project monitoring has reduced costly site visits by 30 percent, improved installation quality by 30 percent and reduced cycle times by 25 percent.
Digitalizing the deployment process also makes 5G rollouts more environmentally sustainable. Given that each CSP will roll out thousands of sites as part of their 5G deployment, reducing truck rolls will help minimize their carbon footprint — and eliminating paper documentation will save thousands of trees each year.
Adopting automation, AI and the digitalization of assets are vital steps in a CSP’s digital transformation journey to capture the full potential of 5G. As Nokia continues to strengthen its capabilities in these areas, customers will benefit from even more efficient and faster 5G deployments in the coming year.
We are extremely proud to be the first network vendor to have digitalized 100 percent of its network deployment services. If you are ready to digitalize your 5G deployment, we would love to talk to you. Visit our digital deployment services website to learn more.