We did it! Nokia ranks as industry sector leader in 2016 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
elebrating a sustained lead in sustainability
For the second year in a row, Nokia has shown it is a sustainability leader, being listed in the world Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI). And this year, we have also been recognized as an industry leader in the CMT Communications Equipment sector with an improved global score of 83/100 (+4 points compared to last year).
So what does this mean and why does this matter? It means that we have taken further steps on our sustainability journey, and those steps have been recognized. We scored above the industry average in all 21 DJSI criteria and werethe industry best in 16 DJSI criteria.
- In the economic dimension Nokia scored best in Customer Relationship Management, CR Materiality, Privacy Protection, Risk & Crisis Management, Supply Chain Management and Tax Strategy
- In the environmental dimension Nokia scored best in Climate Strategy, Environmental Policy/Management System, Environmental Reporting, Hazardous Substances, Operational Eco-Efficiency and Product Stewardship
- In social dimension, Nokia scored best in Corporate Citizenship and Philanthropy, Human Capital Development, Labor Practice Indicators and Human Rights, as well as Social Reporting.
And why does it matter? Achieving these accolades is a clear proofpoint of our committed staff around the world. They’ve worked with heartfelt motivation to improve our environmental performance, increase the energy efficiency of our products, encourage colleagues to improve their knowledge or manage our supply chain more responsibly. Our people have adopted sustainability as a guiding principle, and it results in better products for our customers, savings in many forms, and a contribution towards the global Sustainable Development Goals. Being included in an index is a measurement stick, which also gives us a great indication of areas where we can still improve.
The DJSI recognition is added to the list of Corporate Responsibility awards earned since the beginning of 2016, which include:
- RobecoSAM yearbook
- Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporation
- Ethibel Sustainability Index (ESI) Excellence Europe
- Ethibel Sustainability Index (ESI) Excellence Global
- AT&T supplier diversity award
- EcoVadis Gold rating
Nice Hall of Fame, isn’t it?
Looking ahead, I strongly believe that it is our duty to help create and be part of the solutions to today’s global sustainability challenges. We will continue to partner with more stakeholders to achieve our mission to invent, design, and deploy technologies that make a real difference to people’s lives, and take responsibility for the impact we can make in the world.
Launched in 1999, the DJSI World is the gold standard for corporate sustainability and the first global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies based on RobecoSAM’s analysis of financially relevant Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors and S&P DJI’s robust index methodology. RobecoSAM invited the world’s largest 3,400 companies from developed and emerging markets to take part in its annual Corporate Sustainability Assessment (CSA).
To learn more about our sustainability efforts, visit our People & Planet site
Download our sustainability report 2015
Read DJSI’s full press release.
Share your thoughts on this topic by replying below – or join the Twitter discussion with @nokianetworks using #sustainability #CSR #Nokia