Build tomorrow’s digital railway today
Nokia railway communications solutions help mainline and metro-urban operators use the power of Industry 4.0 to achieve operational excellence, improve safety and security, enhance the passenger experience and reduce carbon emissions.
What is a digital railway?
Mainline and metro transit railways rely on vast quantities of data to provide reliable, safe, on-time journeys for millions of people and products every day. Many want to use digital technologies and automation to transform their operations and keep pace with shifting demands. To succeed, they need smart railway communications networks.
Our solutions provide the reliable, secure connectivity you need for digital railway operations. With a digital railway, you can:
- Deliver fully connected rail experiences
- Achieve new levels of automation
- Reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance overall service
- Get ready for 5G and FRMCS
- Take full advantage of industrial IoT and advanced analytics to predictively maintain your operations and intelligently manage your assets
Discover how Nokia can help you build a digital railway that’s ready for tomorrow’s demands.
Mainline passenger and freight railways
Our railway communications solutions provide mission-critical connectivity that helps mainline passenger and freight operators ensure that every journey is safe, secure, on-time and fully connected. You can use these solutions to enhance operational efficiency, increase capacity and improve the passenger experience.
We offer mission-critical broadband private wireless, IP/MPLS, packet optical, microwave transmission, analytics and railway cybersecurity solutions that support the latest signaling and control applications and address other operational and business connectivity needs. With our solutions and expert support, you can:
- Embrace innovative digital railway applications and use cases
- Modernize your GSM-R network and prepare for the FRMCS and 5G future
- Ensure robust and reliable connectivity for the European Train Control System (ETCS) and automatic train operations (ATO)
- Outsmart hackers with stronger railway cybersecurity
- Enrich the passenger experience with improved connectivity and next-generation applications
- Offer faster and more connected freight services
- Enhance operational efficiency and automation in railyards and depots
Our railway communications solutions help metro-urban operators build secure, efficient and sustainable digital railways that connect passengers to the people, things and places they love.
We offer innovative train-to-ground communications, IP/MPLS, analytics and railway cybersecurity solutions that can help accelerate the digital transformation of your railway. With our technologies and expertise, you can:
- Embrace smart new railway applications without compromising current ones
- Enable highly automated rail operations and communication based train control (CBTC)
- Provide safe, dependable transport to growing populations
- Support next-generation passenger applications
- Keep up with the latest technologies, from LTE to 5G
- Enhance operational efficiency and automation in railyard and depots
Choose the right architecture for your digital railway
Our railway communications solutions let you combine high-performance networking with technologies such as IoT, edge computing, cloud, machine learning and augmented reality to make your railway more efficient and ensure a fast and successful digital transformation.
- Connect people, sensors, trains, video monitors and automated train control systems with the highest security and reliability
- Get the fast response times you need to support safety equipment, next-generation signaling, IoT applications and video analytics
- Increase network capacity where it's needed to address passenger surges, rush-hour congestion or high demand for on-board connectivity
- Use data processing and analytics systems to boost efficiency or enable new services
- Create value with open platforms that can apply analytics, operational systems and automation to any rail application
Our railway communications solutions in action
Jernbaneverket Norway Customer Testimonial
Norfolk Southern Rail boosts safety and efficiency with IP network
A modernized, advanced, secure, reliable railway in action
Milan’s Metro: Intelligent rail solution deployment to improve public transport
Sweden’s transport operator builds a nationwide GSM-R IP/MPLS communications network to enhance safety and efficiency
Norwegian railways deploys advanced nationwide communications network to enhance safety and efficiency
SBB renews its entire data network to support mission-critical operations, passenger services, and business traffic
RATP boosting communications with all-IP ultra-broadband network
Discover our railway communications solutions
Cyber security for railways
Secure your railway infrastructure
Future Railway Mobile Communication System (FRMCS)
Ensure safe, dependable operations with FRMCS based on 5G
Ensure safe and reliable operations
IMPACT IoT platform
Intelligent Management Platform for All Connected Things (IMPACT) for IoT device management
Industrial-grade Private Wireless
Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless is powering Industry 4.0 today — and the 5G revolution tomorrow
Mission-critical railway backbone network
Build a converged backbone for your railway communications infrastructure