Virtualized service router
Deliver virtualized network functions (VNFs) for x86 server environments
The Nokia Virtualized Service Router (VSR) is a highly flexible virtualized IP edge router designed and optimized for telco cloud environments. It enables rapid service innovation while lowering operating costs. With the VSR, service providers can extend service reach, open new markets, and accelerate time to market.
The VSR supports a broad and rich set of virtualized IP edge applications – virtualized network functions (VNFs) to support mobile, business, and residential services.
Based on the Service Routing Operating System (SR OS), the VSR delivers high performance and elastic scalability for x86 server environments.
The VSR supports the highest levels of reliability and resiliency. It also offers flexible management options – from working with open frameworks to delivering OpenStack®-integrated VNF management and element management capabilities with our Network Services Platform (NSP).
Benefits and features
IP/MPLS service breadth
- Provides a full range of IP/MPLS edge services: business, residential, and mobile
- Flexibly scales IP routing infrastructure by supporting a wide range of virtualized routing applications
- Leverages a rich legacy of service robustness and stability from the Service Router portfolio, and is fully optimized for the x86 server operating environment
- Implements advanced packet processing and acceleration techniques to boost throughput and performance
- Harnesses symmetric multi-processing (SMP) to maximize the power and performance of multi-core processing
- Capitalizes on open frameworks and work with partners, such as Intel, to optimize the performance for the x86 environment
Efficient and cost-effective deployment with elastic scalability
- Dynamically adds or releases processing or memory resources as needed
- Increases routing and service scalability with a 64-bit architecture that enables access to larger CPU core memory space
Resiliency and robustness
- Based on a field-proven, real-time, modular, and highly fault-tolerant software architecture
- Create robust network architectures using multi-node designs with advanced capabilities such as:
- Multi-chassis Link Aggregation (MC-LAG)
- NAT with synchronized sessions
- BNG with synchronized subscribers
- IPsec with N:M stateful multi-node redundancy
Related solutions and products
7730 Service Interconnect Router
Next-generation IP access, aggregation and edge platforms
Converge wireline and fixed-wireless access on a multi access gateway to deliver a seamless broadband experience everywhere.
Build application-optimized IP-optical networks using coherent optics
Learn more about edge routers
Broadband Network Gateway evolution with control and user plane separation
Demonstration of Nokia Multi-Access Gateway for scaling broadband services
Scaling 5G Fixed-Wireless Access User Plane Function (UPF) in 5G Standalone mode
More bandwidth for Europe’s largest data hub: DE-CIX is first Internet Exchange worldwide to implement 800 Gigabit Ethernet technology
How to make your IP network DDoS-safe, across all users
IP router silicon: The key to universal protection against network level threats.
12 Sep 2023
Nokia redefines IP access, aggregation and edge networks with next generation routers
15 Aug 2023
Nokia, Nomios Group to triple capacity for GÉANT European research network with new ultra-high-capacity IP backbone network
13 Jul 2023
Nokia deploys 400GE IP interconnection and peering solution for Budapest Internet Exchange
7 Jun 2023
Nokia and du deliver residential broadband services over fixed-wireless access
26 Apr 2023
Nokia boosts TDC NET’s connectivity in Denmark with upgraded IP core network
25 Apr 2023
Nokia selected by Telecentro Argentina for network transformation
3 Apr 2023
Nokia expands OpenColo’s data center site connectivity using 800GE routing interfaces
28 Mar 2023
Nokia enhances DOCOMO’s nationwide network with upgraded IP core and transport network slicing for 5G services
13 Mar 2023
Nokia partners with Netplus to deliver future-proof and world-class broadband services in India
11 Jan 2023
Nokia to upgrade VodafoneZiggo’s IP interconnect network in The Netherlands
19 Oct 2022
Nokia provides NL-ix with IP platforms to enable 400GE and 800GE access and interconnection services
8 Sep 2022
Nokia selected to upgrade Stealth Communications’ core network for increased capacity and DDoS security
10 Jan 2022
Nokia selected by Capital Online to upgrade its IP backbone network
9 Nov 2021
Nokia deploys 400GE IP interconnection and peering solution for LINX
Please complete the form below.
The form is loading, please wait...