Virtualized service router
Deliver virtualized network functions (VNFs) for x86 server environments
The Nokia Virtualized Service Router (VSR) is a highly flexible virtualized IP edge router designed and optimized for telco cloud environments. It enables rapid service innovation while lowering operating costs. With the VSR, service providers can extend service reach, open new markets, and accelerate time to market.
The VSR supports a broad and rich set of virtualized IP edge applications – virtualized network functions (VNFs) to support mobile, business, and residential services.
Based on the Service Routing Operating System (SR OS), the VSR delivers high performance and elastic scalability for x86 server environments.
The VSR supports the highest levels of reliability and resiliency. It also offers flexible management options – from working with open frameworks to delivering OpenStack®-integrated VNF management and element management capabilities with our 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM).
GlobalData product assessment - IP edge router report for Nokia 7750 SR and VSR portfolio
Our leadership in IP edge routing cannot be contested. Download this study from GlobalData to find out more.
Features and benefits
IP/MPLS service breadth
- Provides a full range of IP/MPLS edge services: business, residential, and mobile
- Flexibly scales IP routing infrastructure by supporting a wide range of virtualized routing applications
- Leverages a rich legacy of service robustness and stability from the Service Router portfolio, and is fully optimized for the x86 server operating environment
- Implements advanced packet processing and acceleration techniques to boost throughput and performance
- Harnesses symmetric multi-processing (SMP) to maximize the power and performance of multi-core processing
- Capitalizes on open frameworks and work with partners, such as Intel, to optimize the performance for the x86 environment
Efficient and cost-effective deployment with elastic scalability
- Dynamically adds or releases processing or memory resources as needed
- Increases routing and service scalability with a 64-bit architecture that enables access to larger CPU core memory space
Resiliency and robustness
- Based on a field-proven, real-time, modular, and highly fault-tolerant software architecture
- Protects control and data plane functions across active/standby VM pair
- Provides advanced resiliency capabilities, including high availability, non-stop routing and services, and in-service software upgrades
- Broadband evolution for cloud-connected living
- Introducing virtualized service routing: Network functions virtualization and optimization for cloud-era networks
- The case for a virtualized residential gateway: Operating cost savings and revenue benefits
- Virtualized Residential Gateway: Driving the delivery of enhanced residential services