We manage, track, and improve our environmental efficiency through a robust environmental management system (EMS). We manage our own footprint through continued certification to the ISO 14001 environmental management standard and our performance is audited regularly by external auditors.
In 2016 we maintained both former Nokia and former Alcatel-Lucent certificates as separate ones – with a plan in place for 2017 to integrate the former Alcatel-Lucent activities into one global Nokia certificate during 2017 and 2018. All our environmental activities, particularly around energy and material efficiency, come under the EMS. We analyze our most significant environmental aspects annually and look for the best ways to manage them. Our significant aspects are related to energy and material efficiency through the value chain.
Holistic view of our environmental strategic activities
- Energy consumption of Networks offices
- Energy consumption of Networks Labs, testbeds and datacenters
- Energy consumption of mobile networks
- Energy consumption of our suppliers’ operations (CDP program)
- Transportation of dangerous goods
- Use of materials and substances in products
- Conflict Minerals
- Packaging materials and design
- Site implementation / installation / maintenance (including for example waste, packaging, diesel generators, cables, batteries)
- Manufacturing waste at suppliers
- IT waste (including for example old laptops, servers, cables)
- Water usage at facilities (drinking, sanitary, landscaping, boilers, and cooling towers)
- Waste generated from production in factories
We also insist that a major part of our suppliers must have a documented EMS in use. Key suppliers and any with larger environmental impact must also be certified to ISO 14001. We track this through structured audits and assessments.
Managing the life cycle
Life cycle management is a key principle of our approach to environmental efficiency across our own operations and those of our suppliers, and is integral to the products and services we deliver to customers from creation to end of life. Creating and bringing to market products, services, and solutions that contribute to environmentally-friendly end-to-end networks is key to ensuring our customers and other industries can positively impact their own eco-footprint.