Transport Networks Solution for Public Safety
Flexible, resilient, and secure backhaul for mission-critical public safety communications
With the evolution toward mobile broadband communications, the modernization of existing voice networks, and the deployment of new video- or sensor-based services, first responders have access to a growing number of sophisticated new IP-based applications to help them respond faster and more effectively to the unexpected.
To support these and future applications and services, public safety backhaul networks must evolve. In addition to providing the security, reliability and resiliency required to deliver mission-critical connections in the most challenging situations, next-generation transport networks must be cost-effective and allow in some cases, safe network sharing among multiple government agencies.
The Nokia Transport Networks Solution for Public Safety combines market-leading IP/MPLS, packet microwave and optical transport technologies to provide a resilient converged backhaul for public safety agencies.
The solution includes:
- All-packet microwave, that offers a flexible, reliable and secure infrastructure for the backhaul of mission-critical TDM voice, data and video.
- Optical switching, that let you deploy services rapidly, reduce network total cost of ownership (TCO) and extend network lifecycles. They also support quantum safe L1 traffic encryption for maximum security.
- IP/MPLS routing. An industry-leading IP/MPLS portfolio provides an easy migration path from TDM networks. With depth in routing protocols, service scaling, security, and timing, it meets the rigorous demands of mission-critical networks.
- Network Services Platform (NSP) A single network management platform that helps you automate your IP, optical and microwave networks to simplify your operations, respond quickly to fast-changing demand and get the most from your transport resources.
It provides public safety network operations the following benefits:
- Full backhaul integration of IP/MPLS, packet microwave and optical, allowing a flexible choice of optimal technology mix to meet agency needs.
- All packet network with QoS management capabilities for smooth TDM to IP transition and prioritization of critical services such as mission-critical push-to-talk/video services.
- Support of mesh topologies and fast re-route mechanisms, for mission-critical network resilience.
- Data integrity with robust traffic encryption at each layer of the network.
- Unified cross-layer management for simplified, end-to-end transport network management and allowing to optimize network capacities.
- Seamless evolution to software-defined networking (SDN), which gives agencies an additional level of flexibility through network automation to ensure the backhaul network can react fast as situations unfold and is able to support 5G slicing when needed.
The Nokia Transport Networks solution enables public safety agencies to support, on a single converged network a rich collection of public safety services including:
- Legacy and IP based critical voice services.
- Video services coming either from smartphones, wearable cameras or from CCTVs.
- Traffic coming from IoT sensors ranging from real-time bio-vital signs monitoring to gun-shot detection microphones.
- All data based applications.
- Interconnections of data centers used by public safety agencies.
State and local governments can also leverage such transport network to support non mission-critical applications that can be deployed as part of the digitalization of their services, or even to accelerate and lower the cost of deployment of private wireless networks that could be used to bridge the digital divide in remote areas.
Benefits and features
With the Nokia Transport Networks solution, public safety agencies benefit from a scalable, future-proof, mission-critical solutions that delivers the performance you are expecting:
Deterministic QoS for assured LMR traffic delivery
- Use deterministic, hierarchical QoS to ensure real-time, critical traffic is never compromised
- Isolate public safety traffic within segregated VPN domains and prevent illicit logins with access control lists
Enhanced network resilience
- Ensure the highest network and application availability with no single point of failure
- Keep rescue personnel connected everywhere, with fast fault detection mechanisms and rapid re-routing of traffic
- Meet strict delay and availability requirements of public safety traffic to ensure calls are routed and information is transmitted in real-time
Zero-trust network security with segmentation and encryption
- Detect and mitigate DDoS threats and attacks
- Protect your network from quantum attacks using L1 traffic encryption
- Build a defense-in-depth strategy (L1, 2, 3) to secure mission-critical communications at every point
- We can connect data center workloads and field devices through the two network domains: the transport network and the data center fabric for network-cloud internetworking
- Our optical networking products can provide the specific performances required to interconnect Data Centers
- All segments of the transport network can be scaled to support massive traffic from the 5G network
- Our Network Service Platform, allow automation across the Microwave, IP/MPLS and optics segments, to be ready for 5G network slicing
Simplified network operations
- Adopt a single network management tool to simplify day-to-day system operations and improve staff efficiency
- Break down operational silos by carrying data, voice and video on the same network
- Migrate existing public safety applications to the backhaul network with ease
- Improve network economics by sharing the network with non-critical government applications
- Support for 5G transport
State of Michigan
City of San Diego
The City of San Diego upgrades its critical communications infrastructure using IP/MPLS and packet microwave technology, creating a next-generation public safety communications system.
18 Oct 2023 - 19 Oct 2023
Nokia at Comms Connect Melbourne 2023
10 Oct 2023 - 24 Oct 2023
Cybersecurity Chronicles webinar series 2023
23 May 2023 - 25 May 2023
Nokia at Critical Communications World 2023
18 Oct 2022 - 20 Oct 2022
Comms Connect 2022
7 Aug 2022 - 10 Aug 2022
21 Jun 2022 - 23 Jun 2022
Critical Communications World 2022 in Messe Wien, Vienna, Austria
24 May 2022 - 26 May 2022
Milipol Qatar 2022 – International Event for Homeland Security & Civil Defence 14th edition
Why the modernisation of public safety communications can’t wait
Cherry & White partners with Nokia deploying the latest communications technologies
Innovation and engagement at CCW 2023
Dallas City modernizes LMR backhaul network using Nokia's IP/MPLS microwave network solution
MPSCS deploys Nokia's IP/MPLS and packet microwave technology to enhance LMR backhaul infrastructure
The City of San Diego upgrades critical communications infrastructure using Nokia’s IP/MPLS and packet microwave
Sendai city deploys connected drone technology from Nokia to create a tsunami warning system in Japan
Enhancing critical networks’ cybersecurity with XDR
30 May 2023
Nokia announces new 4G and 5G Core Network software solutions for mission critical needs of enterprise verticals
17 May 2023
Nokia’s turnkey 5G-connected drone platform selected by Belgium’s Citymesh for world’s first nationwide drone network
2 May 2023
Nokia unveils first CE-certified 5G automated drone-in-a-box solution for secure, reliable public sector and industrial operations
8 Jun 2022
New South Wales, Australia, enhances emergency services with Nokia mobile broadband
19 Oct 2021
Nokia modernizes State of Vermont Department of Public Safety communications network for first responders
6 May 2021
Nokia delivers managed infrastructure services for BDBOS public safety network
13 Oct 2020
Nokia and Area X.O accelerate 5G mission-critical van on cross-Canada tour
19 Mar 2019
Room40 uses Nokia's machine-learning powered video, audio and IoT analytics to flag emergencies and crime at service stations, parking lots and construction sites
15 May 2018
Nokia's Advanced Command Center strengthens situational awareness to enable better decision-making by emergency services
11 Apr 2018
Nokia and SKT conduct trial of LTE-based video and voice applications to enhance public safety in South Korea
20 Feb 2018
Nokia introduces services, technology to help operators address needs of digital cities
Please complete the form below.
The form is loading, please wait...