A 5G smart factory is only as intelligent as the network that connects it
Mobilize your manufacturing operations to maximize your business output
Industry 4.0 and 5G factory automation are bringing incredible opportunities to the manufacturing sector. In a survey of 600 manufacturers by ABI Research and Nokia, 92% are considering 4G/5G private wireless technologies to improve the flexibility and agility of their operations. The days of inflexible, immovable, locked-in linear production lines and inaccurate asset tracking are over.
The factory of the future will see people and machines working safely together to increase productivity, improve efficiency and produce goods in a way that meet carbon neutrality goals. The right smart manufacturing network and expertise can make your plant operation and business goals a reality.
Nokia provides high performance, easy-fit industrial grade private wireless solutions, and applications combined with proven expertise to help your smart factory:
- Optimize performance, productivity and lower costs of your manufacturing operations. Nokia high-performance network solutions, platforms and intelligent business applications help you speed processes, lower operational costs and improve visibility and quality.
- Securely adapt your facility to meet changing customer demands and business needs. Leverage secure, scalable 4.9G and 5G private wireless networks for a more flexible manufacturing environment that helps you dynamically adjust your operations and processes to meet your business needs while protecting your data and intellectual property (IP).
- Realize the benefits from your digital transformation journey. Nokia networking solutions provide the capacities, throughput and connectivity needed to support new levels of automation and flexibility while bringing you knowledge, technical experience and support to ensure your project objectives are met.
Getting to Industry 4.0: Wait for 5G or go with 4G/LTE?
Read how industrial-grade private wireless networks contribute to the realization of Industry 4.0
Here’s how your plant can meet the requirements of a smart factory
Improve your operational performance, worker safety and KPIs with a more reliable, high-capacity private wireless network
- Automate and inspect for quality, safety, and efficiency
- Ensure uptime with easy-fit, easy to deploy, end-to-end solutions
- Enable new workplace health and safety applications
- Meet your smart manufacturing KPIs while delivering on long-term value of your modernized operation
Explore more on the manufacturer journey to Industry 4.0
The Manufacturer’s Digital Journey: Digitalizing the Present
Building a smart and safe connected factory
Smart manufacturing – a wireless new normal?
How manufacturers leverage wireless to adapt to the new normal
Smart Factory Automation with UK Private 5G
Getting started on your 5G smart factory digitalization journey
Digitalize and automate with confidence
Deploy, plug and play network solutions for your smart factory without disrupting your operations
- Combine IIoT and analytics to enhance automation and gain new insights into your smart manufacturing operations
- Improve Operational Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) with enhanced predictive maintenance capabilities
- Increase visibility with IT network management and tool sets
- Build your network with confidence with best in class connected factory solutions and proven innovation expertise
Listen, watch and read how you can digitalize your connected factory
Enabling the smart factory with a private wireless network
Manufacturing networking: Private LTE networks for a smart wireless factory
The Manufacturer’s Digital Journey: Crawl, Walk, Run
Using digital twins and factory automation for flexible, optimized operations
Building Smart Factory with 5GOmron discusses Smart Factory proof of concept use cases implemented with Nokia 5G network.
Modernize, de-risk and future-proof your business
Manufacturers can benefit today from 5G smart factory solutions and advanced applications to speed up IIoT adoption and Industry 4.0 transformation
- Realize your smart factory vision with pervasive, high performance connectivity
- Support digital twin capabilities for the ultimate agile operation
- Build a competitive business advantage with flexible, adaptable operations
What is a conscious factory? What does my transformed future look like? Read on
Where does 4G/5G private wireless fit into the Manufacturer’s digitalization journey?
Gain insights into smart manufacturing solutions
The Manufacturer’s Digital Journey: The Digitally Transformed Future
How 5G and Wi-Fi 6 work together to support connected factory solutions
The conscious factory of the future
Read how a 5G manufacturing industry leader uses 5G in their digital transformation journey
Nokia Oulu factory tour
The connected, smart factory of the future is here. Visit the Nokia Oulu factory, a World Economic Forum Lighthouse 5G factory of the future.
Industry-first Private Wireless TCO Calculator
Accelerate digital transformation and optimize your TCO! Compare wireless connectivity network scenarios by simulating your industry site.
What does 5G bring to manufacturing?
In your 5G smart factory, you can achieve the "unlimited experience" with the high-bandwidth connectivity needed to untether your factory floor and add new levels of automation like never before. 5G provides the massive scalability needed to connect all of your people and critical applications - on and off the factory floor. 5G provides the ultra reliability and security to support even your most critical applications and infrastructure. With 5G massive machine communications you can support all of your smart factory devices with greater control, and longer battery life now and into the future.
How does data improve with 5G for manufacturing?
- Collect, connect and see: 5G allows you to connect more things to collect more data and get greater insights into your operation. The more you know, the more you can optimize.
- Analyze and understand: The higher capacities of 5G help you to connect both high and low bandwidth assets like sensors, CCTV and visual inspection
- Predict and process for better decision making: Local processing of data speeds analysis and enables real-time decision-making.
- Automate and control: Control your physical assets digitally. Form virtual representations like Digital Twins with more accurate information. Test new strategies and implement them with the touch of a button.
What does Nokia bring to your smart factory journey?
The Future X architecture harnesses technologies such as Industrial Internet of Things, edge computing, cloud, artificial intelligence, machine learning, augmented and virtual reality, and high-performance networking – including 5G – to drive dramatic productivity improvements across a wide range of industrial sectors.
- With the Future X architecture for manufacturing, you can combine intelligent networking with digital technologies to support innovative applications and make your Industry 4.0 vision a reality
- Connect robots, sensors, tracking systems, smart tools and AGVs with the highest security and reliability
- Get the high- performance and ultra-low latencies you need for video analytics, automated vehicle navigation and immediate robot responses
- Increase network capacity to address any need, from digital twinning to augmented reality, on-floor video and security systems
- Use insights about assets, processes, environments and workers to boost efficiency and productivity
- Create value with platforms that apply analytics, sensor and device management, digital operations and machine learning to any manufacturing application
Discover our smart manufacturing solutions
- IoT analytics
Use real-time IoT machine learning for the most accurate and comprehensive analytics available
Our solutions in action
Sustainability: How Nokia solutions can help you achieve your climate goals.
We are committed to helping deliver a cleaner and more connected world. In 2017 we were among the first 100 companies in the world to commit to reducing our emissions in line with the landmark Paris climate agreement.
- Our science-based climate targets are being recalibrated with the latest 1.5°C warming scenario.
- We delivered zero emission products to over 150 customers globally.
- We are exploring how to reduce single-use plastics and have a circular practices and products program in place.
- 5G technologies will help make human activities more efficient and more environmentally friendly for the planet.
Learn more about Nokia’s sustainability approach.