Public Warning System
Geo-targeted, real-time and context aware alerts
to a population at risk
Large-scale natural and human-made disasters frequently put the lives and property of citizens at risk. However, many existing public warning systems (PWS) are not equipped to provide at-risk populations with the targeted, real-time alerts they need to ensure their safety. These systems are also not sufficient to meet current PWS regulatory requirements in many countries.
The Nokia Public Warning System solution provides the full end-to-end set of capabilities that governments and mobile network operators (MNOs) need to implement PWS services and meet PWS regulatory requirements. The solution includes:
- An alert management portal and an alert gateway which enable governments to rapidly create, manage and geo-target alert messages.
- A cell broadcast service-based (CBS) solution that enables MNOs to broadcast context-aware alert messages and warnings to mobile devices in a specific geographic area.
- A location-based SMS (LB-SMS) solution that augments CBS technology with SMS communications and improved situational awareness for emergency authorities.
- A package of integration services that enable governments and MNOs to define, design, deploy and test the solution across their networks with all stakeholders involved.
The Public Warning System solution supports a range of use cases that give public safety agencies and MNOs the communications speed, reliability, and control they need to provide timely and accurate alerts when an emergency occurs.
Increase efficiency and responsiveness
- Define the specific geographical zones that require public alerts
- Quickly create and manage alert messages
- Perform analysis and reporting on the emergency campaign, including running diagnostics to determine exact delivery time and what caused failures
Improve critical communications
- Simultaneously send near-real-time, high-priority alerts
- Engage users without affecting their privacy or requiring intervention
- Send unmissable alerts with an impactful look and tone
- Reach millions of citizens regardless of congestion levels in the network
Improve situational awareness
- Identify the location of people in affected areas to assist with rescue efforts
- Count and track people as they enter, exit or move through an affected area
- Track SMS deliveries and subscriber nationalities
- Enable two-way communication
Benefits and features
Comply with global PWS criteria for alert delivery, message content and mobile device features, including 3GPP, ETSI and ATIS standards
Deliver emergency messages over all generations of mobile networks, including GSM, CDMA, UMTS, LTE and 5G
Support future evolution of emergency alerts such as multimedia-based alerts
Leverage leading partner solutions for governmental domain and alternative or complementary location-based SMS solution for MNOs
Improve situational awareness for emergency authorities by augmenting CBS with LB-SMS capabilities
Meet government mandates for emergency broadcast services as defined in various countries
Why the modernisation of public safety communications can’t wait
Innovation and engagement at CCW 2023
MPSCS deploys Nokia's IP/MPLS and packet microwave technology to enhance LMR backhaul infrastructure
The City of San Diego upgrades critical communications infrastructure using Nokia’s IP/MPLS and packet microwave
Sendai city deploys connected drone technology from Nokia to create a tsunami warning system in Japan
Enhancing critical networks’ cybersecurity with XDR
VDPS: Elevating public safety with advanced mission-critical communications
Vermont Department of Public Safety selects Nokia to elevate public safety with advanced mission critical communications
30 May 2023
Nokia announces new 4G and 5G Core Network software solutions for mission critical needs of enterprise verticals
17 May 2023
Nokia’s turnkey 5G-connected drone platform selected by Belgium’s Citymesh for world’s first nationwide drone network
2 May 2023
Nokia unveils first CE-certified 5G automated drone-in-a-box solution for secure, reliable public sector and industrial operations
8 Jun 2022
New South Wales, Australia, enhances emergency services with Nokia mobile broadband
19 Oct 2021
Nokia modernizes State of Vermont Department of Public Safety communications network for first responders
13 Oct 2020
Nokia and Area X.O accelerate 5G mission-critical van on cross-Canada tour
15 May 2018
Nokia's Advanced Command Center strengthens situational awareness to enable better decision-making by emergency services
11 Apr 2018
Nokia and SKT conduct trial of LTE-based video and voice applications to enhance public safety in South Korea
20 Feb 2018
Nokia introduces services, technology to help operators address needs of digital cities
Please complete the form below.
The form is loading, please wait...