Nokia Private Wireless solution for power generation plants
Industrial-grade connectivity for the future of power generation
Today, power generation plants are struggling with pricing volatility, legacy technologies and new requirements for security and sustainability. At the same time, they need to increase operational efficiency and evolve to safer, more flexible and financially stable power generation sources.
An industrial-grade 4G LTE or 5G private wireless network that’s designed for power utility operations allows every type of power generation plant—hydro, gas, nuclear, solar and wind—to digitally transform and benefit from the promise of Industry 4.0 technologies and applications.
Power generation plants gain reliable high-speed, high-capacity and low-latency connectivity everywhere, even in challenging indoor and outdoor environments. The private network is standards-based, and supports all applications with the quality of service (QoS) needed for scaling mission-critical applications, which best-effort Wi-Fi networks cannot achieve.
Private wireless is essential for power generation plants looking to:
- Use more Industrial IoT (IIoT) sensors to cost effectively monitor, control and automate more equipment, processes and areas
- Connect IIoT sensors with machine learning analytics and digital twin technologies
- Provide secure connectivity for enterprise-wide asset management, process optimization and data integration
- Improve communications, safety and security across their facilities
With an industrial-grade private wireless communications foundation in place, power generation plants have a future-proof path for ongoing digital evolution.
A mobile network that delivers high-bandwidth, low-latency 4G LTE or 5G connectivity improves the availability of existing applications and opens the door to new applications that help further automate and optimize power generation plants.
Digital transformation with Industry 4.0 technologies to automate and optimize operations
- Introduce low-cost, low-power IIoT sensors that are easily connected using wireless to monitor processes and areas that were previously too expensive
- Collect extensive sensor data to create a digital twin of enterprise-wide system for asset management and resource planning
- Join isolated data lakes for improved understanding of end-to-end operational costs and performance trade-offs
Improve worker efficiency and safety
- Add new broadband data and push-to-video service capabilities, and improve coverage for push-to-talk communications
- Quickly send high-definition schematics, data and operational information to mobile devices and heads-up displays
- Connect smart personal protective equipment (PPE) and worker health devices, such as wearable sensors and body cameras
- Use remote-controlled robots and drones to reduce the need for workers to enter hazardous areas or work high in the air
- Extend video surveillance to additional areas in and around the plant site
- Add pan-tilt-zoom (PTZ) and infrared cameras to drones
- Broadcast public safety alerts from drones
Benefits and features
With the Nokia Private Wireless solution, power generation plants of all types can:
Increase network reliability with a wireless network that uses sophisticated technology to manage device access, share bandwidth and monitor service levels
Improve connected operations with a predictable, high-speed, low-latency wireless network that connects equipment, systems, devices, people and data
Reduce operational costs by consolidating multiple communications systems onto a single network for operations
Increase the wireless coverage area with a pervasive wireless network outdoors and indoors across the largest power generation sites
Increase network security with a wireless network that provides built-in encryption and authentication capabilities
The Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless solution for power generation plants includes connectivity, applications and devices.
Learn more about private wireless for power generation
How private wireless solutions enable digital power plant’s transformation
How to use the power of Wi-Fi and private wireless to boost digital transformation
Ten questions to ask when choosing your private wireless vendor
To learn how we can help your power generation plant benefit from our Private Wireless solution, get in touch with our power utilities team.