WaveLite Optical Networking
Bringing scale to the edge with cost-optimized ease-of-use for multi-tenant CPE and enterprise optical networks
Wide area networks connect all aspects of the enterprise: headquarters to branch offices, manufacturing plants to supply chains, customers to sales; all functions of a modern business now rely upon network connectivity to accomplish the enterprise’s mission. Some enterprises choose to build private WAN backbones while others prefer to use managed WAN services. Whether privately built and operated or delivered by a service provider, Nokia WaveLite offers excellent flexibility and capacity at the enterprise edge.
Data center interconnect (DCI) is an important use case for modern enterprise, linking data centers for critical applications, such as business continuity, disaster recovery, or remote analytic computing.
What makes WaveLite unique?
Modular, pay-as-you-grow hardware architecture that does not strand unused physical space.
Designed for ease of use
Simple to build and easy to manage with no complex planning tools; configured through a user-friendly GUI.
Protection against unexpected failures.
The Nokia WaveLite optical networking product family provides an enterprise, edge purpose-built solution for DCI and corporate WAN connectivity. Comprising a set of service aggregation and transport components, WaveLite features multiplexing transponders (muxponders) for aggregating a wide range of client services onto higher rate optical lines using commonly available pluggable optical modules.
The family also includes optical amplifier and wavelength multiplexer/de-multiplexer modules. Together, these modules meet the needs of enterprise and service provider networks built to specifically support enterprises. All WaveLite products are compact, have a 1RU-high chassis with low power consumption, and AC or DC powering. Front to back air flow and optical protection switching options are also available. The products are configured through an on-demand, user-friendly, web-based interface.
WaveLite delivers easy-to-deploy solutions for many enterprise networking use cases, including:
- Service provider network edge service aggregation: providing a compact, cost-effective, highly flexible solution for delivering service to enterprise users.
- Enterprise WAN connectivity: enables aggregation and transport of multiple applications or services onto higher rate optical links for connection to various offices, operations, data centers and internet exchanges.
- Enterprise self-build DCI: lets enterprises, using leased dark fiber, easily construct DCI to enterprise-owned or multi-tenant data centers.
- Enterprise managed DCI with a service provider: allows service providers to build enterprise dedicated connectivity solutions with ease and at low cost.
For these and many other use cases, WaveLite helps enterprises build optical networks with solutions that are efficient, secure, resilient and easy to deploy.
The Nokia WaveLite family
- High-capacity, dual wavelength access/edge switching multiplexer. Provides ODUk switching with ODU0 granularity. Supports wide range of client interfaces for multiplexing onto 400G line.
WaveLite Metro 200
- 200G OTN muxponder with 2x 100G on single coherent line via CFP2 ACO. Includes optical line protection.
- Large enterprise optical transport for enterprise WAN and DCI, including applications needing optical line protection.
WaveLite Access 200
- Flexible 200G muxponder with 2x QSFP28 B&W line-side interfaces
- Medium-to-large enterprise optical transport for enterprise WAN and DCI
- Metro EDFA amplifier
- Optical line amplifier for longer metro or LAN extension spans
WaveLite Mux 16
- 16 channel DWDM multiplex/demultiplex module with integral amplifier. Includes optical line protection
- Large enterprise WAN network DWDM multiplex/demultiplex and amplification
Related products and solutions
Open Optical Networking
Open and disaggregated platforms, open model-driven interfaces and open management and control
Quantum-safe optical networking
Secure data from intrusion and theft though quantum-safe encryption, key management and intrusion detection
1830 Optical Network Extender (ONE)
Multi-service P-OTN, transport and ROADM optimized for metro and access
1830 Photonic Service Demarcation (PSD)
Customer-located network demarcation and optical transport for Ethernet and wavelength services
1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS)
Scalable optimized end-to-end optical transport solutions for DCI, metro, regional and long-haul networks
1830 PSS-x P-OTN Switching
Scalable and efficient P-OTN switching for multi-protocol wholesale services
Learn more about Optical Networks
Beyond faster speeds and more waves - getting the most out of fibers
Optical Networking Portfolio Poster
Enabling business and wholesale services with packet and OTN slicing
How innovations in spectrum use enable continued growth in optical fiber capacity
Extending our knowledge of the sea floor, and the networks that are making it happen
Connecting Austria’s research community to the rest of the world | Full version
3 Aug 2023