Field Area Network for power utilities
Enable new business models by extending the reach of grid communications with LTE, IP/MPLS and FTTx
Nokia Converged Field Area Network (FAN) for Power Utilities provides a platform for new business models by helping utilities extend communications deep into the distribution grid to enable integration of distributed renewables and storage, distribution automation, substation automation and advanced metering infrastructure (AMI).
Our FAN solution gives you the flexibility to choose from a broad spectrum of technologies, including LTE, DSL, and FTTx. We have the experience to integrate the technology that best meets your utility’s business drivers, and can ensure that the FAN interoperates seamlessly with wide area networks (WANs), local area networks (LANs) and neighborhood area networks (NANs) to serve varying applications with differing requirements.
Combined with our award-winning IP/MPLS and industry-leading microwave and fiber optic WAN solutions, our FAN solution helps you achieve highly reliable, highly secure, ubiquitous and cost-effective smart grid communications.
We provide consulting, solution deployment and integration services that can help you:
- Select the right FAN architecture
- Deploy multiple technologies and vendor products
- Ensure interoperability of different network segments and technologies
This reduces your risk during project implementation and protects your investment in smart grid.
Operators of large wind farms can take advantage of Nokia Digital Automation Cloud (Nokia DAC) to provide pervasive connectivity for workers and wind turbine operations and maintenance processes.
This comprehensive cloud-based solution combines LTE-based private wireless networking with integrated security. To learn more visit our renewable energy site.
Benefits and features
Incorporate renewable energy
- Monitor and control renewable energy sources such as solar panels and wind turbines.
- Incorporate new energy sources while maintaining power quality and stability.
Reduce outages and manage power quality
- Benefit from granular visibility and control of energy flow and quality.
- Ensure a faster and more informed response to outages.
Reduce operational expenses
- Remotely monitor asset performance and operation for improved predictive maintenance, more efficient dispatch of repair technicians and more accurate end-of-life calculations.
- Detect and manage network and non-technical losses.
- Deploy a homogeneous solution that integrates distribution automation, substation automation and AMI over a common FAN.
Mitigate cybersecurity risks
- Use encryption to keep data secure and prevent unauthorized parties from accessing sensitive information.
- Implement strong authentication to keep rogue devices and users off the network.
- Control network access with firewalls.
We customize our FAN solution to suit the specific business needs of power utilities. This reliable, secure and scalable solution is made up of proven technologies from our IP, optical and private wireless portfolios. We complement it with our comprehensive professional services offering.
Related solutions and products
Middle-mile optical transport
Bring fast internet service to rural areas with a high-capacity utility broadband transport network
Private Wireless solution for power generation plants
Industrial-grade connectivity for the future of power generation
Utility OT cloud
Put data center fabrics and clouds to work to accelerate your digital grid journey
Learn more about Field Area Network for Power Utilities
As DERs rise, watch out for islands in your grid
Enabling DER islanding protection—and more
Building a smarter grid with a FirstNet powered converged FAN
Optimizing distribution automation with private LTE networks
25 Jul 2023
Nokia deploys private LTE for Xcel Energy’s grid modernization in the United States
1 Jun 2023
ESB Networks and Sigma Wireless deploy national 4G/LTE private mobile network with Nokia in Ireland
30 May 2023
Nokia announces new 4G and 5G Core Network software solutions for mission critical needs of enterprise verticals
17 Nov 2021
Nokia private LTE chosen by Bahrain’s Electricity and Water Authority to digitalize distribution network
12 Aug 2021
Nokia deploys private LTE to Western Power Distribution for smart grid trials
Please complete the form below.
The form is loading, please wait...