Take advantage of multi-cloud capabilities and any access (2G/3G/4G/5G and wireline), while minimizing implementation risks and serving any demand with the right capacity, maximum performance and lowest latency. Deploy your evolved packet core (EPC) and 5G core (5GC) with the flexibility of cloud-native network functions (CNFs), physical network functions (PNFs) and pre-integrated server-based appliances.
What is packet core?
The Nokia packet core provides key components needed for a webscale-class evolved packet core (EPC) and 5G core system (5GC). With its virtualized, cloud-native disaggregated and state-efficient design, it is well suited for multi-cloud environments. It is also infrastructure agnostic and independent of the underlying cloud infrastructure used for orchestration, lifecycle management (LCM) and infrastructure resource management.
Pre-integrated appliances offer network growth, deliver additional functionality and mitigate end of life challenges due to limited cloud infrastructure. The Nokia packet core can anchor both wireless (2/3/4/5G NSA and SA) and wireline (xDSL, PON, fiber) access technologies, forming a universal adaptive core.
Packet core features and capabilities
Capture new revenue opportunities by delivering a diverse range of exciting services. This requires a feature-rich, high-performing, capable and reliable packet core that can be deployed without limitations and evolved with confidence on any cloud and using any access technology (2G/3G/4G/5G).
Ready to talk?
Deploy with flexibility, ensure performance
Find out how Nokia’s packet core flexibility meets your needs wherever you are on your cloud journey.
- Minimized latency - a compact, high performance and distributed packet core for user plane slice selection and local traffic offload helps to meet the needs of ultra-reliable low latency use cases.
- Increased flexibility - packet core network functions can be introduced or expanded rapidly with a simple software upgrade or a pre-integrated appliance.
- Resource efficiency - the unified control plane can manage multiple wireless and wireline user plane functions located anywhere in the network.
Maximize throughput, minimize latency
Find out how Nokia’s packet core helps you to achieve industry-leading performance from integrated IP services and a high-performance IP forwarding engine.
- Cost-effective network - 3.5x greater throughput compared to dedicated external network elements.
- Improved customer experience - the high performance packet core gateway minimizes latency for the delivery of uRLLC use cases.
- Lower OPEX - fewer network functions need to be processed and maintained.
Observe your packet core performance
Find out how Nokia packet core's observation capability leads you to effective operations and monetization.
- Performance analysis - analysis of individual device sessions and behavior is enabled by packet core network function per call measurement data (PCMD) for detailed insights to help maintain service performance.
- Visibility at all levels - monitoring overall packet core network with per-interface and per-flow granularity enables you to get ahead of issues.
- Openness - open cloud native computing foundation (CNCF) components can be used for easy logging, tracing and monitoring.
Cloud Packet Core Video Series
The packet core is arguably the most important technology for helping communications service providers (CSPs) get the biggest benefits from the many opportunities 5G creates. To illustrate why, we’ve created these five short videos with the priorities that CSPs tell us they must address and our vision of technology trends.
Cloud Packet Core Explained
Cloud Packet Core plays a fundamental role on 5G Packet Data networks, especially when it comes to Stand Alone Core and Service Based Architecture. 5G brings concepts that are new to the telecommunications world. Although some of them like Virtualization, Cloud Core and Cloud Native are grounded by now, other ones may still raise questions. To help clarify some of these concepts, we created the videos below. Please watch them and leave your comments.
Packet core products
The Nokia packet core consists of the Cloud Mobile Gateway (CMG), Cloud Mobility Manager (CMM) and Cloud Network Resource Director (CNRD). These products provide key components of an evolved packet core (EPC), a 5G core (5GC) and 2G/3G mobile packet core domains for the creation of a single packet core network.
Cloud Mobile Gateway
The Cloud Mobile Gateway (CMG) supports multi-access connectivity by converging multiple mobile packet core gateway functions.
In 4G evolved packet core (4G EPC) networks this includes the serving gateway/packet data network gateway/ gateway GPRS support node (SGW/PGW/GGSN), policy control enforcement function (PCEF), subscriber services gateway (SSG) providing carrier-grade network address translation (NAT), TCP optimization, firewall and service chain steering capabilities, hybrid access gateway (HAG) for converged service delivery, home agent node (HA), evolved packet data gateway (ePDG) and trusted wireless access gateway (TWAG).
In 5G core (5GC) networks this includes the session management function (SMF) and user plane function (UPF).
Cloud Mobility Manager
In 4G evolved packet core (4G EPC) networks the CMM provides the mobility management entity (MME) function, and the serving GRPS support node (SGSN) function in 2G/3G mobile packet core networks.
In 5G core (5GC) networks the CMM provides the access and mobility management function (AMF).
Cloud Network Resource Director
The Cloud Network Resource Director (CNRD) provides two 5G core (5GC) network functions: Network Repository Function (NRF) and Network Slice Selection Function (NSSF), as defined in the 3GPP SBA (Service Based Architecture).
The NRF stores the network function (NF) registration information. It allows NF to act as "Producer" or "Consumer" of services, besides subscribing to services from other network functions.
The NSSF defines the correct network slice from the list pre-defined ones, to serve a specific device. It also sets the correct NF and resources to serve the requesting device.
Packet core and 5G core (5GC) certification and training
The Nokia 5G packet core overview eLearning module introduces the 5G core (5GC) system architecture and highlights its characteristics. It describes the Nokia solution for 5G non-standalone option 3X. It also examines the concept of network slicing, main concepts of 5G core security and the architecture of the 5G core system (5GC) by highlighting each network function's role. Demonstrations and uses cases are integrated throughout the course to reinforce learning objectives.
After completing the course, students should be able to:
- Identify the drivers and benefits of 5G
- Present the 5G core (5GC) system architecture and its deployment options
- Describe the 5G non-standalone option 3X
- Illustrate the 5G core system (5GC) architecture
- Identify the role of each network function in the 5G core (5GC)
- Describe the service-based architecture in the 5G core system (5GC)
- Describe the packet core mobility and session management functions in the 5G core (5GC)
- Describe the concept of 5G core (5GC) network slicing
- Explain the 5G quality of service (QoS) framework and the main components of 5G core (5GC) security[FU2]
For further details visit the Cloud Packet Core certification and evolution to 5G webpage.
Design principles and 5G packet core security
Nokia Cloud Packet Core is cloud native by design. It provides high performance and latency thanks to modern architecture, enabling multi-cloud and appliances-based deployments. It also allows wireline (optical, fiber, cable) and wireless (2G/3G/4G/5G) convergence.
It is designed for privacy and security, with layered protection based on defense-in-depth design and zero-trust principles and tested against 5G-specific use cases.CSPs get full control to secure their 5G services, thanks to the pervasive and automated security management built into our design practices, 5G core software, and dedicated security solutions.
Related products and solutions
7750 Service Router Mobile Gateway
Deliver the next generation of enhanced mobile broadband services with exceptional performance and scale.
Cloud Mobile Gateway
Get the flexibility, scale, and performance you need for enhanced broadband, uRLLC and 5G services on any cloud
Cloud Mobility Manager
Leverage cloud-native design to boost performance and scalability