Accelerate the transformation of your manufacturing and retail operations with 5G
Build a smart automotive factory of the future and modernize your retail operations with intelligent automation and cloud computing powered by Nokia 5G industrial-grade private wireless network.
Automation is transforming the automotive industry
The automotive industry is changing – fast! With shifting consumer preferences towards energy-efficient vehicles, evolving government emissions standards and sustainability goals, and unpredictable supply chains, the automotive industry is undergoing a dramatic change to its business and operating model. To keep pace your manufacturing operations and retail businesses need to be smart, agile and efficient.
It will require new automotive industry automation with introduction of new flexible manufacturing processes using digital technologies such as collaborative mobile robots, wireless IoT devices and vision systems together with artificial intelligence, machine learning and edge cloud computing. The best way to support these smart factory initiatives is with a scalable and secure private wireless network infrastructure built on 5G.
With all of your manufacturing systems and workforce connected over a private 5G network, you will be able to collect more data in real-time, process it using intelligent analytics and digital twins to make better, more informed decisions to increase productivity, improve efficiency and produce vehicles that also help you meet your sustainability goals.
- Automation is transforming the automotive industry
- Make your digital transformation a reality with 5G
- Enable flexible manufacturing
- What does 5G bring to automotive manufacturing?
- Nokia Bell Labs smart factory of the future
- Discover our automotive manufacturing solutions
- Creating powerful partnerships
- Leader in networking for Industry 4.0
- Sustainable manufacturing
Make your digital transformation a reality with 5G
Meeting the long-term digital transformation objectives of your automotive manufacturing and retail operations is made possible with our industry proven, industrial-grade 5G private wireless network and edge cloud solution. It is the foundation to modernize your data infrastructure providing a common network that connects all of your automotive industry automation, assets, and applications with reliable, predictable performance and service assurance. 5G is a global communications standard that has been designed from the beginning to support the challenging requirements of the automotive industry. It is a technology that you can depend on and build your automotive manufacturing and retail operations that will be enhanced over time to meet your evolving needs.
We are trusted industry leader in 5G with long-standing networking expertise and the experience in the deployment of large scale carrier-grade networks around the world. We also have broad knowledge and deep understanding of the unique and often more difficult requirements of industry having deployed hundreds of private wireless networks in many different industries including automotive manufacturing. Together with our technology leadership and specific industry knowledge we can help you with your specific network modernization projects.
Optimize productivity and quality while lowering costs
Speed up processes, lower operating costs and improve quality with intelligent business applications that connects your production lines over a 5G, industrial grade private network.
Increase process and system agility
Rapidly reconfigure your manufacturing floor using digital twins that are created with the collection of more real-time data and analytics to introduce new models or to adjust production volumes for better more informed decision making.
Adapt to changing social dynamics and consumer preferences
Reduce the design concept to the production phase by keeping pace with rapidly shifting trends in vehicle models, powertrain technology, human-machine interfaces and alternative ownership options.
Support mass customization
Make your vehicles more profitable while providing greater build-to-order customization with lot-size-one manufacturing cells and lean material handling enabled by private 5G connectivity.
Create new business models
Collect massive amounts of data throughout your supply chain and use intelligent analytics with AI and ML to gain insights to create new business services and provide greater visibility.
Meet your sustainability goals
Reduce manufacturing process inefficiencies and waste, consume fewer natural resources while producing more vehicles that meet tighter emissions requirements – all while keeping costs in check.
Enable flexible manufacturing and material handling with industrial-grade connectivity
Our 5G private wireless network provides the pervasive broadband connectivity throughout your manufacturing and warehouse facilities allowing you to break free from fixed cabled processes and embrace the wireless flexibility you desire to meet your Industry 4.0 objectives.
With an automotive smart factory powered by our industrial grade private wireless network, you can maximize the agility of your manufacturing operations, increase overall equipment efficiency (OEO), and support all your processes with one network.
Private 5G networking powers new Industry 4.0 manufacturing processes
A private wireless 5G network coupled with edge cloud computing can deliver the predictable Quality of Service, performance, and network reliability for the introduction of new automotive manufacturing automation processes that were not possible with existing technologies.
- Warehouse 4.0 and lean material handling - automate your material handling and intra-logistics parts and material operations with autonomous mobile robots and better asset tracking to reduce scrap and improve efficiency.
- Lot-size-one manufacturing – use new, manufacturing production methods that provide more individual vehicle customization while reducing inventory and work-in-process costs.
- Flexible manufacturing cells – create highly automated, agile manufacturing units that are easily retooled and reconfigured and reprogrammed to adapt to changes in production volumes and orders.
- Paperless factory and warehouse operations – move to digital recording, tracing and product orders that reduce mistakes, lost records, and a cleaner more sustainable environment.
- Mixed reality manual assembly assistance – use AR/VR and digital twins to assist your workforce with access to real-time information that will reduce errors and improve quality.
- Wireless vehicle over-the-air software updates and testing – provide the latest software updates to your inventory and retail service centers without requiring any cable connections to connect to on-board systems.
- Automated assembly testing and visual inspection – take advantage of the bandwidth and flexibility sensing and high-definition cameras can bring to reduce defects and improve quality.
Industry 4.0 manufacturing processes
- Warehouse 4.0 and lean material handling
- Lot-size-one manufacturing
- Flexible manufacturing cells
- Paperless factory and warehouse operations
- Mixed reality manual assembly assistance
- Wireless vehicle software updates and testing
- Automated assembly testing and visual inspection
What does 5G bring to automotive manufacturing?
5G is a critical catalyst that will enable you to use Industry 4.0 to build the smart automotive factory of the future. It provides the high-bandwidth connectivity and massive scalability you need to connect all your people and assets, untether your factory floor and embrace automotive automation like never before.
Ultra-reliable and secure, 5G can protect your critical applications and infrastructure from threats, meet their stringent performance demands and keep them up and running. It combines capacity and scalability with flexibility, enabling you to take full advantage of connected machines and IIoT sensing. With 5G massive machine communications, you can support all your smart factory devices with greater control and longer battery life, now and into the future.
How 5G helps you use data to support smart manufacturing
- Collect, connect, and see: 5G lets you connect more things, collect more data and gain greater insights into your operations. The more you know, the more you can optimize.
- Analyze and understand: The higher capacities of 5G enable you to connect and analyze data streams from a wide range of assets, from IIoT devices to CCTV cameras and AGVs.
- Process and predict: Local processing of data speeds analysis and enables real-time decision-making.
- Automate and control: 5G lets you use digital applications to control your physical assets, create digital twins of your factory environment, and test or implement new designs and layouts with the touch of a button.
Edge-cloud computing as part of your factory automation
- Process and analyze more operations data in real-time to support dynamic, decision making
- Support collaborative robotics for synchronized time-sensitive assembly
- Deliver the capacity and speed that’s needed for wide-spread deployment of HD video
- Locate and track assets with greater precision and accuracy
How can 5G modernize your retail operations?
- Improve the speed and efficiency of vehicle software updates over-the-air (OTA).
- Provide better facility security with improved coverage of the entire premise from HD cameras.
- Use AR/VR along with digitalized maintenance instruction to improve your Service department quality, productivity, and efficiency.
- Give your customer’s a better service experience when they visit your retail operations.
Industry-first Private Wireless TCO Calculator
Accelerate digital transformation and optimize your TCO! Compare wireless connectivity network scenarios by simulating your industry site.
Nokia Bell Labs Factory of the future - The foundation for your automotive smart factory
The Nokia Bell Labs factory of the future architecture harnesses technologies such as Industrial Internet of Things, edge computing, cloud, artificial intelligence, machine learning, augmented and virtual reality, and high-performance networking – including 5G – to drive dramatic productivity improvements across a wide range of industrial sectors.
With the Future X architecture for automotive manufacturing, you can combine intelligent networking with digital technologies to support innovative digital applications and make your Industry 4.0 vision a reality.
Future X architecture for automotive manufacturing
- Connect robots, sensors, tracking systems, smart tools and AGVs with the highest security and reliability
- Get the high-performance and ultra-low latencies you need for video analytics, automated vehicle navigation and immediate robot responses
- Increase network capacity to address any need, from digital twinning to augmented reality, on-floor video, and security systems
- Use insights about assets, processes, the environment and workers to boost efficiency and productivity
- Create value with platforms that apply analytics, sensor, and device management, digital operations, and machine learning to any manufacturing application
Discover our automotive manufacturing solutions
Digital Automation Cloud (DAC)
Industrial grade 5G private wireless network platform and applications
Get gigabit networking that reduces OPEX, increases business agility and sustains mission-critical services
Insight-driven IP networks let you, run your network more cost-effectively and ensure that you get the quality of experience (QoE) and security you expect.
Data center infrastructure
Build scalable and distributed data centers to embrace the cloud native era
Scale you network without limits that provide the foundational connectivity for your networked communications.
Data center switching platforms
Build scalable and distributed data centers to embrace the cloud native era
MX Industrial Edge
Accelerate digitalization for mission critical industrial OT
Internet of Things (IoT)
Maximize the potential of your connected things
Digital Automation Cloud Applications
Cut through IoT complexity and accelerate your digital transformation
Nokia Worldwide IoT Network Grid (WING)
From factory to delivery to after sales support provide superior products and services with a reliable global IoT connectivity solution
IMPACT IoT platform
IoT management platform for billions of connected devices
iSIM Secure Connect
Manage eSIM and iSIM technologies with ease
Powerful end-to-end security portfolio
Creating powerful partnerships
We’re working with fellow innovators around the world to develop new solutions that will accelerate your journey to Industry 4.0 and ensure that you achieve your business goals. Our collaborators include:
- Service providers that offer deep networking expertise and can help bridge spectrum divides
- Cloud system integrators that can help streamline your architecture and integrate new solutions within your existing environment
- Industrial ecosystem partners that offer cutting-edge Industry 4.0 solutions and practical experience in implementing 5G
We also play a key role in standards bodies and industry associations that are helping to drive the advancement of 5G, digitalization and Industry 4.0, including 5G ACIA, 5G AA and Arena 2036.
Go with the leader in networking for Industry 4.0
Nokia is a recognized leader in 5G, industrial IoT and private wireless solutions for Industry 4.0. With thousands of customers across sectors such as manufacturing, transportation and energy and resources trust us to deliver mission-critical networks that can take their businesses wherever they want them to go.
5G SA private wireless solutions
live 5G networks
private wireless customers
experience with private 4.9G/LTE
Digitalization drives more sustainable manufacturing
Digitalization can provide a path to sustainability. It brings the tools of connectivity, intelligence, data analytics, and automation to our world. Fueled by Industry 4.0 goals of efficiency, productivity and agility, digitalization brings new ways to connect our society and workplaces, it helps companies make the shift toward more sustainable business practices, offers tools to measure impact, and helps to bridge digital divides.
Nokia is committed to helping deliver a cleaner and more connected world. In 2017 we were among the first 100 companies in the world to commit to reducing our emissions in line with the landmark Paris climate agreement.
- Our science-based climate targets are being recalibrated with the latest 1.5°C warming scenario.
- We delivered zero emission products to over 150 customers globally.
- We are exploring how to reduce single-use plastics and have a circular practices and products program in place.
- 5G technologies will help make human activities more efficient and more environmentally friendly for the planet.